My name is Olivia. I’m a big fan of walking along the Wandle Trail, and I set up this website to help others enjoy the river path!
I hope my website is helpful to you, but if you have any suggestions then please get in touch!
See you by the river!
About Wandle News
Wandle News was started in 2022 and was originally just one page about the River Wandle Trail. Since then it has been expanded to cover any topic that might be of interest to someone who either lives near the River Wandle, or is visiting the area.
The website now has sections on:
- The history of the Wandle
- Facts and information about the river Wandle
- Plants that grow near the river wandle
- Wildlife that live near the Wandle
- Fishing on the Wandle
Since subscribers to Wandle News are fans of river walks and local history, Wandle News also includes guides to some of London’s other rivers. They include the Thames, and London’s lost rivers like the Fleet and the Effra.
Since starting Wandle News I have met many local residents and business owners (both in person and online) who have come across my website and given me help and advice.
In particular I would like to thank the following:
- Wandle Industrial Museum for their help with my historical articles
- Wandle Anglers for their fishing knowledge!
- Wandle Valley Forum for help with queries relating to the river path
Wandle News is constantly growing and expanding. My vision is to eventually have a useful online library of information that covers everything anyone might want to know about the River Wandle and its surrounding four boroughs.
If you have anything you would like to see on the website, please get in touch! My contact details are below.
River Wandle Events
A number of organisations run events connected to the River Wandle, which Wandle News supports. They include:
- South East Rivers Trust who organise river clean ups and projects to remove invasive species
- Wandle Valley Forum who organise Wandle Fortnight
- The Walk and Talk Movement who organise walks by the river Wandle
- Wandle Anglers who organise fishing walks by the river Wandle
Below is a selection of photographs from different events I have attended connected to the river, and the Wandle Valley.
Wandle Anglers Walk and Talk
Roger Berry from Wandle Anglers does very interesting walks along the river where he gives fishing tips and advice, and we look for the best fishing spots.
Below are some photographs from the walk and talk that took place along the stretch of river from Earlsfield to Plough Lane.
Wandle Valley Forum Annual Meeting
The Wandle Valley Forum Annual Meeting happens every year during Wandle Fortnight. Wandle Fortnight is a celebration of everything to do with the River Wandle and Wandle Valley, and includes river walks, activities and talks.
The next Wandle Fortnight will take place from 9-24th September 2023.